Saturday, October 5, 2019

Beaching with a wheelchair


                                                

                                           

                                             


I love going to the beach. I have always loved swimming since I can remember. Even though I am wheelchair-bound, swimming gives me the freedom my wheelchair does not. It came to a great surprise to me that I could find a wheelchair accessible beach in New England within a 1-hour drive from home.

One of my favorites (in terms of accessibility) is Nahant Beach in Massachusetts. There are two different kinds of beach wheelchairs available (first come first serve basis). One is a sand beach wheelchair, pictured below. With this kind of wheelchair, you can get into the sand easily and go to the shore. The second type is the floating wheelchair - my favorite. With this one, you cannot only get in and out on the sand, but you can use it in the water.

Besides Nahant beach, other wheelchair accessible beaches I have been to are the below:























Old Silver Beach in Falmouth, Ma
Address:
Quaker Road
North Falmouth MA
(508) 548-8623


South Cape Beach in Mashpee, Ma,
Address:
Great Oak Road
Mashpee MA
(508) 457-0495

Horseneck Beach State Reservation in Westport, MA.

However there are so many other wheelchair accessible beaches that I want to visit. I will link the below websites with more information on beach accessibility.




Can’t wait for next summer!




No comments:

Post a Comment